Tuesday, December 25, 2007

One more Christmas project

At the last minute, I knit up this headband/earwarmer for Kristen out of alpaca. the pattern is a vintage one from 1961 that I found online. Theirs was done in either mohair or worsted wool (and looked like the ones I used to wear as a child.) This one is done in DK, same number of stitches as the pattern, so it's narrower than the original, but it's also a lot longer. Made with less than one skein (maybe half a skein) of unlabeled alpaca found for half price at Let's Knit. It wants to roll, despite efforts at blocking, but can be convinced to lie flat when in use. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to knit it--start to finish in less than 48 hours, despite my slow speed and size 6 needles. Maybe the alpaca was just so yummy.

It will keep Kristen's ears very warm in Chicago for the rest of the winter!

See the original (and some other really scary 1961 hats) here:


No comments: