Friday, December 21, 2007

California Sunset Handwarmers

I finished the first pair of handwarmers from my kool-aid yarn, and I love them!



They are so simple and the coloring turned out so good. They are knit flat in 2 x 2 rib and then seamed up. Since I had plenty of yarn leftover, I decided to make Kristen a pair too, but I thought it would be easier to do them in the round. I saw a pattern from WWI for men in the trenches that was done that way, and they way they said to make the thumb hole was just to stop knitting in the round and change to back and forth for a while, and then re-join the round up. Sounded very simple. Well, on magic loop, it's not so easy. The piece is already round, so you can't just "knit it flat." And unlike a sock heel, you want to knit the whole thing, not just half of it. I ended up using 2 dpn's plus a third to knit with, and knitting inside and outside of an odd triangle. I'm on the second one now, and still experimenting. I want to make more of these, they're so fun and useful, but I think I'll go back to the knit flat method and stop complaining about the stitching up bit.

Back to knitting!

2 comments:

Carrie Penny said...

We have got to get you a camera this year so I can see all of your pretty things. I am dying to see how your koolaid items have knit up!!!!

Evelyn said...

Santa has been informed of this need.