Saturday, January 19, 2008

The University of Chicago: hell *has* frozen over!

Ok, so I visit Chicago in winter for the first time in 20 years, and immediately the temperature drops to record lows! It was -4 degrees F. this evening with a windchill of -18 degrees F. and I felt every sub-zero lack of degree of it!

BUT: I love this city, I love this university, and I am so proud of my lovely daughter. On Friday night she had a Business Etiquette banquet to attend and dressed up for the occasion (despite the extreme cold!)


Then today, we left Hyde Park at 8: 20 am and took the #6 bus down to the Millennium Park area on Michigan Avenue--it was frigidly cold but crystal clear and lovely. Unfortunately, as soon as I took one picture, the camera informed me that the batteries were dead--with no previous warning. I did bring extra rechargeable batteries with me, but needless to say, I didn't have them in my pocket downtown. So sadly, after I took this one picture of Kristen, I was not able to take any pictures of the Water Tower, the Lakefront, etc.



We stopped at Loopy Yarns, in the Loop, and Kristen bought an Addi needle, and we hugged all the nice yarn. The people who work there seem young and hip (and obsessively knitting!) and it was great fun.

Tonight we ate at a local place called The Medici, which serves real food at great prices. There are so few local American restaurants in the Torrance area, so this was nice.

1 comment:

Carrie Penny said...

Sorry about the cold there... It is kinda funny though...