Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Time Stands Still

There's a good reason why it's called the winter solstice--the sun stands still, apparently. And that's the feeling the days between Christmas and New Year's give me: nothing can happen, and time stands still. The day of the week has no meaning. Is it Wednesday? Who knows, who cares? It's the no man's land of time.

Kristen passed on to me a great new word, that I'm afraid might be all too useful in the days ahead: procrastiknitting. The meaning is obvious--the act of procrastinating from real work by means of knitting!

Well my scarf is still not done, but it's getting close. I spent a couple of hours at Borders this morning alternately knitting on it and browsing through books on all sorts of advanced knitting topics (the folk mittens of Maine and Maritime Canada and why they should be made of wool--of relatively little importance to a person in Southern California who has never knit a thumb gusset in her life. But charming nonetheless.)

In view of the impending conclusion of the scarf, I bought several new skeins of yarn. I am starting on a Mobius scarf in bright pink wool. I cast on 150 stitches and have made a start on knitting the first round. But I'm not quite sure I'm joining the round together properly--either for normal knitting in the round or for the twisted version that will create a Mobius strip of knitting. Time will tell.

No comments: