Friday, May 27, 2011

Socks and a Shawl








So I'd better post pictures of the pink/grey socks before they disappear again and I have no evidence of their existence! I actually almost doubted that the socks did exist, since I couldn't find them for months, and I had no photos of them. My only thread of hope was that I had a little baggie with the left-over yarn. I am not even entirely sure when I knitted them. I know they were in existence during the time Kristen was home for Christmas.



This is Patons Kroy yarn, on size 1.5 needles, but I cast on 68 stitches, and they seem a little looser then I'd ideally like. I thought 64 on 1.5 was too tight, but maybe it is better. Or maybe I should decrease to 64 immediately after the ribbing. In any case, these are comfortable and entirely wearable. (or could these have been done on 2's? Since I don't remember knitting them, how do I know what size needle I used?)



I finished the Faroese Shawl that I was working on, in Elizabeth Lavold Silky Wool, and it's s great pattern. Through clever and rather inscrutable increases along the shoulders, it comes out in a nearly circular shape, perfectly fitted to the neck and shoulders. I didn't want mine to be too long, as I thought that would make it less wearable (since I'm not actually a peasant woman living on the windswept Faroe Islands). This is plenty voluminous, reaches almost to my waist in the back, and the fronts can be thrown back stylishly ( I like to think) over my shoulders.



Silky Wool is a great yarn. It's not silky, and it's not wooly. It is firm, a bit rustic, and a nice weight for lace that is not really lacy. I have a plan to knit a shrug-type thing out of it, if Mrs. Oyama can come up with the pattern she used. Some sort of rectangle thing that is seamed to make arms and then has stitches picked up around the edges to make a collar and ruffle.

Now I'm working on little odds and ends--a Greenleaf Baby hat for my pregnant Egyptian student, in dk weight (done) and a pair of booties to go with it, with little leaf-ended ties, if I can pull that off with the skein of yarn I have. I hairband for Nitza (also finished, but needing finishing), and I don't know--maybe some sideways garter gloves?

No comments: