Monday, May 11, 2009

Leaves of Lace

I had a lovely Mother's Day--received a very sweet card from Kristen, and Sam took me out for dinner and also washed the dishes on Sunday! I talked to my mother and my sister, as well as my daughter, so all family ties are firmly in place.

So on Saturday afternoon, I cast on for the realest of real lace: cashmere laceweight yarn from Sarah's Yarns, and Evelyn Clark's pattern for a triangular lace shawl knit from the neck down. All was going well, and by noon on Sunday, I had 3 repeats done and was feeling quite confident....until I took a close look.


After row 7, I had the number of stitches I was supposed to have after row 9. Which means that I had somehow added 4 excess stitches. Much hemming and hawing and counting and re-counting of sticthes ensued, culminating in ripping out 2 whole repeats.



So now I am filling the lace with lifelines and stitch markers every 10 stitches, which makes it less attractive to look at and slower to work on...but not as slow as actual ripping out of stitches!

This will keep me busy for quite a while, methinks!

No comments: