Friday, October 29, 2010

Swatch This



Since I made these 5 squares, I might as well save my notes here in case I decide to knit any of these stitch patterns in the future.



Th first one below is called Double Broken Rib. It is different on front and back and has a deep waffled texture. It is on page 12 of Barbara Walker's first Treasury. 4-row repeat. Would work for a scarf or wash cloth.



The second one is Raised Moss Stitch Rib. It is very similar to the Farrow Rib pattern used in the Allegan Cardigan from The Book of Wool, but the knits and purls vary slightly. It doesn't curl but it does pull in. I got this from Simply Knitting, I put the pattern in the Book of Wool.

The next one is also from Simply Knitting. It is 4 over 4 cables, with stitches on the RS worked through the back loop. I had to add croceht to the sides because it pulled in a great deal. I also tried to steam-kill it because it wasn't lying flat enough. The effect is pretty, but a bit troublesome to work with.


The one below is a classic Basketweave, found on page 16-17 of the first Treasury. Very satisfying appearance, easy to work but needs more attention that you would think.
The last one is perhaps my favorite. It is a single Diamond Brocade, from page 30 of the first Treasury. It lies perfectly flat and smooth and seemed to grow in width (though perhaps not. I cast on 33 stitches, more than the others.) I had to frog several times before I got all the lines lining up correctly, but the end result is very pleasing.



All of these were done with size 7 needle and Bernat Berella 4 "afghan yarn" (worsted weight), which I found surprisingly unpleasant to work with. I might go up a needle size, since my gauge is pretty firm. I had less than a yard of yarn left at the end. Th se can all be stretched to 7" x 7", and all had between 30-33 stitches cast on, but the finished dimensions vary much more than you might expect.

No comments: