Sunday, August 29, 2010

Suzy Homemaker



Hmmm, maybe I don't want to look at squid eyes every time I open my blog. Ok, so here's the chicken I roasted tonight.


When we were in Chicago in June, Kristen took us to a wonderful authentic-ish Italian restaurant called Quartino's, and really, you'd think I'd never been out of the back hills or something, because everything made such an impression on me. So I've been trying to duplicate some of these wonders. I made mushroom risotto a while ago, and fonduta, and pesto gnocchi, and today I decided to try my hand at calamari.

I am comfortable with cleaning squid from Japanese cooking. So that was fine. I got the instructions from Marcella Hazan's cookbook, and she warned that a spatter shield would come in handy, but I don't have a spatter shield, so I used the lid of the wok as a shield. (Spatter shields cost $20! Fuggedaboutit!



And it turned out great! Papa was very pleased.

So for my next trick, I decided to work up a few patterns for lace knitted bookmarks. Quick and easy, but when I undid the blocking I realized that I screwed up the pattern on the next to last repeat. Oops, back to the drawing board.





And at long last I finished the socks that I cast on for my trip to Chicago in June. The ones on the right are the new pair. Their siblings are on the left, made during jury duty on spring break. I love this yarn! Patons Kroy FX. I have enough for one more pair, in a pink/gray mix that I will cast on for my next travel knitting.


And here's my Very Little Shells. It was actually called Little Shells, but the pattern called for dk weight yarn and I used laceweight, due to a brain misfire, so it turned out Very Little. But I like it. Disregard the scowl--the sun was very bright and right in my eyes!

I'm actually very happy with this, really!

No comments: