Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Two years ago, on Thanksgiving weekend, the first year Kristen was away at school, I taught myself to knit. Today, she's even further away, all the way in Wales at the moment. She got herself there from Rome, and from there she'll go to Dublin and then back to Rome and then next weekend to Glasgow, and after that, she'll be home! She can travel the world without me, on her own, making careful plans and looking out for herself.

And I can knit better than I ever imagined two years ago. Today I finished a cardigan I've been working on for my mother. I soaked it and blocked it, stretching it out and stuffing it with many plastic bags, and maybe it will work out after all. It will probably be a week before it's dry and I can see if the size is big enough. But it's a pretty good looking cardigan.



And of course, once that was done--I had no knitting to do! Well, I have two lace scarfs, but they require good light and good eyes and concentration, and I wanted easy tv knitting. So I cast on a pair of socks.



Tomorrow I might go to Twist and try to buy yarn for a sweater for Kristen.

I am thankful for my life. For my husband, who is healthy, for my home, which is comfortable, for my job, which is just the right amount of challenging, for my body, which is still functional. I took a walk at the beach this morning, and I can walk, and it's in the 60s here, and it was sunny and the water was sapphire blue. I am thankful for this life.

1 comment:

Carrie Penny said...

Your sweater is AMAZING and reminds me that I really need to get pictures of mine up... I haven't blocked it yet, so I am being lazy, but I think yours is prettier.