Saturday, February 2, 2008

Winter Dessert: "Baked" Apples

I love old-fashioned baked apples, the way my mother used to make them. She would core 6 or 8 apples and put brown sugar and raisins inside, then sit them up in a baking dish and bake them in the oven for an hour or more, and serve with Marshmallow Fluff melting over the top.

Well, my take on baked apples is faster and easier, and probably even more nutritious. I use Fuji apples, and without peeling, I cut them into quarters. Remove the seeds and then cut each section into 3 or 4 pieces. Place in small serving-size bowls and pour a small amount of real maple syrup over (use "maple-flavored corn syrup" at your own risk.) Cover each bowl with wax paper and microwave for 3 or 4 minutes. Carefully lift the wax paper and see if the apples are soft. Continue microwaving to desired softness, then remove carefully (bowls and steam are very hot.) Eat.

No comments: