Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chicago and home again




Before school starts back up, I should upload all the latest pics and itineraries. So here's what I did last weekend:

On Thursday evening we ate at Roti, yummy Mediterranean fast food, in the Loop and then attended a taping of NPRr’s “Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me.”
On Friday, I hung out for a while at the best Starbucks ever, on North Ave near the Sedgwick stop (real working fireplace! Many many soft chairs and tables! Open 24 hours!) and then went to the Chicago History Museum on Clark Street. A little expensive, as museums are these days, but very interesting. Then I took the Clark bus to Windy Knitty. One of the nicest yarn stores I’ve been in, and I bought a skein of locally dyed yarn, Fleur de Fiber that is gorgeous.
I had lunch right up the street at a place called M. Henry, that was very charming.
Friday night, daughter and I had a fantastic dinner at Fork, with a flight of wine, cheese plate, mussels with wine and cream, and grilled trout, oh my!
On Saturday morning we had coffee and delicious croissants at the coffee shop next to the L stop. In the past, Kristen ran into Mayor Rahm Emanuel having breakfast there with his daughters and his bodyguard! No such sighting this time, however. Then we took the Brown line downtown and stopped by Kristen's office in the Chase Bank Building

and then took the L tour offered by the Chicago Architecture Foundation, which I highly recommend.

Then we hit Loopy Yarns, and after that, lunch at Hackney’s. We also visited the Field Museum,



and had dinner at a Korean-Japanese restaurant called Oysy (expensive, but good.)

(Kristen and Mark, her "person of interest.")
On Sunday morning we had a fantastic brunch at Marmalade

and on Sunday night we went to Aroy Thai on Damen Avenue. Their spicy pork is to die for!
So that’s it! The weather was all that you could ask for in Chicago in February, and we had a great time.

No comments: