Wednesday, August 6, 2008

...and the living is easy

Summer is finally really here for me. Summer school is over, all my grades are handed in, and all I have to do now is relax, knit, and, uh, yeah all the cleaning and other chores that I put off all year.

Well, in order to keep myself from getting overwhelmed, I've made a list of discrete tasks to accomplish, such as "measure window shades" and "buy replacement window shades" and "install window shades." So today I got two and a half of those bullet items off my list!

To reward myself, I cast on a super simple knitting project: the Sunday Market Shawl.




This is basically just all stockinette all the time, on largish (but not awkwardly large) needles, and then at the end, you drop stitches that were yarn-overs and end up with something pseudo-lacy that grows in dimensions. Huh. Worth a try. I have 2 skeins of 100% alpaca yarn in a lovely chestnut brown that I don't know what to do with, so this will be my Olympic knitting and my being sociable knitting and so on. Actually what it will do is completely displace the actual lace knitting which is a little annoying to work on. But it's summertime! The knitting should be easy too! And if the alpaca gets too hot to handle, I'll go back to the laceweight shawl.

Last night for dinner, I made a lovely crustless quiche sort of thing that is so yummy:

Spinach-Feta Bake

3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 10 oz or 1 16 oz package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese (2%)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 eggs, beaten
oregano and black pepper (the feta is salty, so no salt)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan, sprinkled on top halfway through baking.

Thaw spinach and squeeze thoroughly to remove water. Combine all ingred. except parmesan in a bowl and mix well. Spray a 9" pie plate with Pam and transfer filling to pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min, sprinkling with Parmesanafter 15 minutes. Should be lightly browned and firm. Cool slightly and serve. Serves 4 hungry people, or 3 people plus yummy leftovers for breakfast!

We also had fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil salad and a piece of garlic toast, and melon for dessert. Out on the patio. Bliss! (Unfortunately we ate it too fast to get a picture of its beauty!)

No comments: