Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Maybe I'm just not cut out for this!

Well, it's been a quiet week in Lake Woebegon, and likewise in Hartland Maine.

Honest to God, I cannot believe how many errors I'm making in this idiotically simple scarf! There is nothing to this at all--knit a stitch, purl a stitch, that's IT! And yet I keep making mistakes and having to rip rows out and then I get the stitches back on the needle in the wrong way. Aarrgh! I am about 3/4 of the way through with this thing, and it looks all right, but there's a row where some of the stitches were put back on twisted, and there is no way I'm going back again, because all I do is mess them up again when I try to put them back on the needle.

Besides, I'm already obsessing about the next project I want to make--a pair of mittens knit flat in garter stitch and then joined into a tube just before doing the decreases and the thumbs in the round. It's from Knit Mittens! which I found at the library in Pittsfield. All I need is to finish the darned scarf (hint to self: no more scarves for a while!) and then get my hands on some size 4 needles, and I can use the variegated yarn I brought with me.

I am wearing my hat, and here where the weather is cold, it doesn't seem silly at all. It folds up neatly into a pocket when not in use and keeps my ears and head nice and warm when I pop it on.

Better get home before night falls--it gets dark really early here--noticeably earlier than in LA, partly because of the latitude, but probably moreso because of the location within the time zone. Even 3 weeks past the solstice, sunset is at about 4:30 I believe.

There is a lovely coating of snow on all the open land, but the roads and sidewalks are dry and the temperature is moderate--low 30's, with a fairly stiff breeze. I just walked up to the Hartland Library from Mommy's house, and it was cold but not bitterly cold. There are rumors of a real snowstorm on Sunday. That would be just right, as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: