Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Angst of Socks

Ok, so I cast on 64 tiny stitches onto two circular needles, and with considerable difficulty, I got a 2 x 2 rib going. And then it went along rather well, so that after a day's work I had 2 inches of ribbing and started on stockinette, which is supposed to be the easy mindless part, right?

At 10:30 last night, I decided to do just another row or two, to see how the stockinette section was looking. But oddly, the transition from K2 P2 to all knit was kind of tricky. I split the yarn a couple of times and somehow ended up with 65 stitches on the needles. Ok, I can fix that. So I fiddled with it, trying to find where I had made an extra stitch, and finally got everything back on the needles.

Yeah, ok, there's a bit of a glitch right here where the ribbing changes to st st, but I can live with that. I mean, look at all this attractive ribbing. Look how nice the colors look. Look...huh, funny...what's this? Back in the 3rd row? Isn't it odd how the stitches sort of...wait...it appears that I have an entire half of a round all in purl stitches! What the...? Ok, well, if I rip back, I can eliminate both the little oddness where the st st begins and the mess up in the 3rd round. So I rip out 2 inches of my hard-won 2 1/2 inches, and then I realize that getting those 64 stitches back on the needles was going to take more time and stress than simply doing the whole thing over.

So I ripped it all out. All of it.

Sigh.

I know that knitting is a lesson in the impermanence of everything.

I know that there's no sense in being attached to my work, and there's certainly no sense in continuing a piece of work that will have a big blunder in it forever.

But I don't know if I can start the socks again right now or not.

No comments: